1. Yesterday was an awesomely bookish day. I kicked it off with a visit to Alexander II, a local elementary school, for Author Day. I read a little from Meant to Be and answered a bunch of awesome questions from the fifth graders over there. They’re all so excited about reading and writing, that I’m SURE there’s a future author or five in the bunch!
2. After that, it was off to Atlanta, where I met up with my buddy Vania to talk books and writing, and make valiant attempts at working on our manuscripts (or, in my case, attempting to read the entirety of Tumblr…).
3. But the main reason yesterday was an awesomely bookish day was that I finally got to meet Robin Benway, an author I’ve admired since I read Audrey, Wait! Funny story, just as I was starting Meant to Be, way back in very late 2009, I got ahold of Audrey, Wait! and devoured it. It was so sharp and funny, exactly the kind of book I wanted to write. So I wrote Robin an email to tell her how much I loved her book, and how I was starting a book of my own and hoping to be published. She wrote me back a very nice email, and I was thrilled. Fast forward to summer of 2012, when I find out that none other than Robin Benway has read Meant to Be and is blurbing it! WHAT?! And not only that, Robin remembered my email (still has it, in fact!). We’ve been internet buddies for a while, but last night while on tour for her new book Also Known As (ridiculously sharp and funny, go pick it up!) along with Megan Miranda and Yelena Black, I finally got to meet her. We went out to dinner and she couldn’t have been nicer or more supportive, though I’m not surprised. The entire YA community is like that (remember when I met Sarah Dessen?), and I was just reminded once again how lucky I am to be part of it.
4. I’ve had a couple very interesting, southern-themed celebrity sightings lately. Last weekend, while at the Crossroads Board Meeting at a local restaurant, I finally got a glimpse of Honey Boo Boo, who was in the buffet line with us (no hate for Honey Boo Boo, her family seems very loving and they’re super charitable!). Then yesterday, while in line at the Barnes & Noble, I realized the customer in front of me was none other than Jeff Foxworthy! So yeah, I’m on the lookout for the third in my redneck trifecta … who do you think I’ll see next?
5. And finally, Paper Lantern Lit has launched a Contemporary Cuties bracket challenge, and Jason is in the mix! Head on over and vote for him (and the rest of your favorites … Cricket Bell! SWOON!)
3 thoughts on “The Friday Five: ALL THE BOOKISH THINGS! edition”
Yes,Jeff’s quite a comedian … “Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?”
It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d without a doubt donate to this brilliant blog! I suppose for now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to brand new updates and will share this site with my Facebook group. Talk soon!